Our Mission: Advancing Business, Strengthening Community
Our Key Strategies:
- Grow our Members’ Businesses
- Foster Economic Prosperity
- Amplify the Voice of Business
- Develop the Community’s Future
The 1,200 representatives of community leaders, member businesses, and organizations that are the Hurst Euless Bedford Chamber of Commerce have joined together to speak to our local legislative representatives with one voice. Our vision is for legislation that will result in the greatest economic and community prosperity in Hurst Euless Bedford, Tarrant County, the North Texas Region, and the State of Texas. Our agenda seeks the continuation of the economic success our state and region currently enjoy by creating sound policies that ensure we have the necessary tools, talent, infrastructure, and healthcare systems for economic and community prosperity.
Critical Priorities for the 87th Texas Legislature
• Keep all current economic development tools including reauthorization of Chapter 313 and funding the Governor’s, Enterprise Fund.
• Fund and protect HB3 making only minor tweaks necessary to correct unintended consequences in the original drafting of the legislation.
• Maintain the funding from Propositions 1 and 7 and explore creative financing methods including expanded public-private partnerships to leverage state investment in critical transportation infrastructure.
• Maximize federal funds to expand healthcare coverage and access through both the public and private market, including the use of Medicaid 1115 waivers and Local Provider Participation Funds.
Detailed Legislative Agenda for the 87th Texas Legislature
- Support the reauthorization of Chapter 313 of the Tax Code for 10 years with minor improvements that allow independent school districts to participate in economic development incentives.
- Support funding of the Governor’s Enterprise Fund and other economic development tools now available.
- Support economic development incentives that produce high paying jobs in high-poverty zip codes in Texas.
- Support continued use of eminent domain to facilitate construction of highways, rail, pipelines, electric transmission lines, etc.
Workforce and Talent Development
- Support appropriating funds for retraining of displaced workers using a combination of community colleges, workforce boards, and private employers.
- Support legislation that ensures there is no discrimination in Texas on the basis of race, religion, national origin, or gender identity.
- Support returning military professional access to comparable state licenses with minimal retraining and cost.
- Support funding quality, affordable daycare to increase workforce participation.
- Support continued funding of HB3 with minor tweaks necessary to remedy unintended consequences of the original legislation.
- Support expansion of broadband to ensure all students in Texas have equal access to education.
- Support allocation of emergency funds to public education to make the adjustments required by the global pandemic.
- Support elimination of unfunded mandates placed on public education.
- Support appropriating funds for the formulas from the 86th Legislature before other funding priorities.
- Support funding the Governor’s University Research Initiative (GURI) and the Core Research Fund (CRF).
- Support rigorous dual credit courses, early college high schools, and advanced placement testing to reduce the number of credit hours that must be completed after high school to make college more affordable.
- Support maximizing federal matching funds to extend healthcare coverage and access to working poor, self-employed, and uninsured Texans through both the public and private market.
- Support funding additional physician residency slots and the Professional Nursing Shortage Reduction Fund.
- Support additional funding for inpatient, outpatient, and community-based behavioral health services and for Mental Health Professionals in the public education setting.
- Support making permanent the relaxing of the scope of practice and telehealth restrictions made during the Covid-19 pandemic consistent with safe, effective patient care.
- Support continued use of all dedicated Proposition 1 and 7 funds for transportation infrastructure.
- Support innovative financing plans including expanded use of Public-Private Partnerships to leverage state funds for transportation infrastructure.
- Support creation of a state plan for the expansion of broadband to every county in Texas providing affordable basic access for distance learning and telemedicine.
- Support tolled managed lanes being added to existing public highways where the number of free lanes remains the same after completion.
- Support measures to protect the Texas electrical grid.